Friday, July 24, 2009

Genealogy Blogging Wisdom: Be Youself - Everyone Else Is Already taken



If you love family history, then you have probably enjoyed perusing the many geneabloggers on the Web. They cover everything from stories of their own research to specific research techniques, to the latest records to come online.

Have you ever considered trying your hand at blogging about your family history? Blogging can be a fun way to share your finds, and document your stories. And much like uploading your family tree to the Internet, a blog can be a powerful tool for connecting with other researchers, relatives, and a long lost cousin or two.

In Episode 38 of the Family History: Genealogy Made Easy podcast I get a chance to chat with a very experienced and very popular blogger: The Footnote Maven.

The author of the Shades of the Departed blog will explain what that blog has meant to her. And since there are so many different types of genealogy bloggers, she will try to sum up how she thinks of herself in the blogosphere, and explain why YOU can be a genealogy blogger too!

In this episode you will learn:

  • specific tips for getting started
  • how the Footnote Maven prepares her blog posts
  • what she would have done differently if she could start all over again
  • 9 tips for getting readers to leave comments

The Footnote Maven believes every family historian can be a genealogy blogger. Her top advice? "Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken!"

Even if you don’t plan on starting a blog anytime soon, I know you will enjoy the Footnote Maven’s passion for genealogy, sense of humor, and words of wisdom.

8 comments:

footnoteMaven said...

Thank you Lisa! You are the best.

I enjoyed meeting you and the time we got to spend together.

You are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside.

I wish you much success. I'll be listening.

-fM

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

It was totally my pleasure!

TheGeneticGenealogist said...

Lisa - I REALLY enjoyed the podcast. It was my first time, and I am now a future listener!

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

Blaine, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for listening!

Jasia said...

It was a wonderful interview! Thank you so much for highlighting my BFF in Seattle, fM.

Sharon said...

I am a big fan of your podcasts, Lisa, and just loved the interview with Footnote Maven! I am a big fan of her blogs and just find her fascinating. I took the hint.. I spend my time at work skimming blog readers so rarely do I comment!

Lisa Louise Cooke said...

Footnote Maven was right - it's awfully nice to receive wonderful comments!

Family Curator said...

Lisa - What a great interview! You managed to get the modest Maven to tell a bit more about herself, and share even more terrific blogging tips. And thanks for the kind words about Miss Penny Dreadful's blood-and-thunder stories.