Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coincidence or Family Tree Serendipity?






You hear about genealogical serendipity, amazing coincidences and even down right eerie stuff happening when folks research their ancestors. I've certainly had my fair share of those types of experiences - like in Episode 106 when I recounted the numerous unusual happenings during my recent trip to England!

Well, Eric, a long time Genealogy Gems podcast listener, wrote in recently to share an uncanny thread that seemed to be running throughout his family tree. And I can't help but wonder who else out there has experienced similar serendipity.  Here's Eric's story:

"My family has a thing with dates... I know, I know, there are only 365 days in a year so things are bound to happen on the same date... in my family it seems to happen a whole bunch.

My paternal great-grandfather was born on November 17, 1883 in Portugal, his youngest son, my grandfather died on November 17, 1998 ( I also know four other people who have passed away on that day... I take it off every year), my paternal great-grandmother (my grandfather's mother) was born on September 15, 1887 and my dad, her grandson was born on September 15, 1946.  

My maternal grandmother was born on March 1, 1923... her younger sister was born on March 1, 1933... my daughter was born on March 1, 2008 and my nephew was born on March 1, 2009... (My grandmother had two great-grandchildren born on her birthday)  

As I said, my great-great grandfather died on June 10, 1927... I was born on June 10, 1972... not only is it the same date... but the last two digits in the year are switched for each event... =)  (Also, in my family, both my grandfather's, my mother, and all but one of my five nephews were born on holidays)  

Just thought you might get a kick out of that... =)" - Eric

Have you experienced quirky coincidences
or occurrences in your family tree?

Well respected genealogist Helen F. M. Leary thinks most people have...
(watch the video below to hear Helen's thoughts on the subject)


2 comments:

Hilary Gadsby said...

I have noticed that in our family tree there is a particular tendency for events to occur on the 26th of the month.
Both my husband and I have grandparents who married on the 26th June as well as gt grandparents and gt gt grandparents.
My husband also shares his birth date with his gt grandmother.

Corla said...

I am working to put together a collection of these stories to share and uplift the genealogy community. I would welcome hearing these power break through or serendiptious moments in our search that makes the stories so worth while. I am eager to keep the excitement that we all feel alive for future generations to appreciate. http://byzwitt.com