Saturday, June 6, 2009

D Day Anniversary - Watch the Video

What can I possible say about today, the 65th Anniversary of D-Day? Each time I've tried to write this blog, I've stopped short realizing that words really aren't adequate for describing the debt that we owe the brave soldiers who stormed the beaches on June 6, 1944.

It is the veterans of WW II who really know what happened on that fateful day. And those who are still with us are our living memory.

But according to an article in the Yorkshire Post, "the problem is that few bother to ask. New research shows that 22 percent of under 16 year olds don't even know if their family members were involved in the Second World War...for a significant number, knowledge about the war comes solely from films or computer games."

Read the article Disappearing Memories of War That are Fighting to be Heard and be inspired to talk to your living WWII veterans, as well as preserve the memories of those we've already lost.


This posting is dedicated to our dear family friend George O'Neill age 85 who served, and to the memory of William H. Cooke who served in the Navy in the Alleutian Islands.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Thank you for the link to this video clip. I watched it with my children and we had a good discussion about what they saw. My grandfather served in WWII, but won't talk about it. All I know is that he served to set up the communication networks before soldiers came it, so he was often before the front lines of battle and he lost alot of friends. I am immensely proud of his service and sacrifice.