Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Great Google Tip & A Gem of an Idea



I'm really excited about the newest episode of The Genealogy Gems Podcast because there are so many cool new things happening in the world of genealogy!

First is the launch of Google's News Timeline.
This new web application from the folks at Google allows us not only to get historical perspective on a period in time, but allows us to search for relevant information, particularly newspaper articles at the same time.

In this episode I'll talk you through all it's features and I'll walk you through them visually in a brand new companion video on my Genealogy Gems YouTube Channel (and be sure to subscribe free to the channel while you're there) I love the News Timeline and I think it has a lot of potential for helping us with our family history research. And because it's part of Google Labs we can look forward to a lot more additions and improvements to it in the future.

Also in this podcast episode we get a chance to talk about a Gem of an idea that Mark Tucker proposed on his Think Genealogy blog: subscription genealogy records websites providing downloadable source citations for the records they provide. I found this to be a fascinating idea, and in this episode you'll hear what respected genealogy blogger Stephen Danko has to say about it, Ancestry and World Vital Records responses, and my two cents.


It's definitely an idea we as genealogists will want to consider getting around.

And finally, the Photo Detective Maureen Taylor will be joining me for a chat. She's always fun!

Enjoy!

Lisa

No comments: